Examining Which Fungal Growths Prefer Your Home's Materials

Justin Ross

A study published in the US National Library of Medicine in 2011 shows that some fungi and molds found in water damaged structures do seem to have an attraction to certain types of building materials. Learn more about which kinds of mold and fungi prefer water damaged materials in your home.

The Famous Green Mold On Walls

When damaging water has come into your home, like in a flood or something as small as a roof leak, you may see a green mold growing on the walls in the area water has come into contact with. The green mold you see is called Penicillium chrysogenum and is the same mold discovered by Alexander Fleming in 1928. While this mold was a great discovery towards the manufacturing of useful antibiotics, it is never good to have growing in your home. Penicillin mold spores are airborne and can have a serious impact on people with depressed immune systems and respiratory problems. Penicillium chrysogenum is the most common type of mold growth found in homes that have suffered water damage. For this reason, making sure you have water restoration and cleanup professionals visit when you find mold growth and water damaged materials in your home is extremely important to your health and your family's health.

The Mold That Prefers Cellulose

Cellulose is an organic compound that is present in many building materials like wood and wallpaper. Chaetomium globosum is a common mold found in damp places, like water-damaged areas in your home, that feeds on the cellulose in building materials and has been found to be a human allergen. Cleaning up this and other types of toxic mold is a careful process that should be carried out by a professional, especially if you or someone in your family suffers with issues like asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Dangers Of Wet House Dust

Mucor racemosus is a mold commonly found in house dust found on the floors in most homes. When you home is flooded or otherwise damaged by water, Mucor racemosus becomes wet, but still has potent properties for toxic health effects in those people suffering with respiratory problems. Water damaged areas in your home could contain more than one mold, so ensuring you retain the services of expert water cleanup professionals is important to avoid getting exposed and sick.

When you home suffers water damage, it can be disheartening and overwhelming. Your first instinct is get it cleaned up and back to normal as fast as possible. However, taking the time to hire professionals like those found at Complete Restoration Services for this type of cleanup is the best way because you can avoid causing more problems, like those with your health.


Share